Competency-Based Mathematics: Software
After every student has been enrolled by the Institute for Academic Outreach, the software for the course will be mailed to the faculty/staff member at the high school to distribute to each registered student.
Please Note: Students who have not completed the registration process by submitting both the Responsibility for Payment Form and the Online Application should not be given a software package.
Each student software package looks like the image above – it is a cardboard envelope titled PreCalculus that contains a sheet of installation instructions. Don’t worry when you see the PreCalculus title! This same software is used for both College Algebra and Plane Trigonometry.
Return or Retention of Extra Software
If a student decides to withdraw from the course before having opened their software package, please mail it back to The Institute for Academic Outreach. Once a piece of software is opened, it cannot be returned and the student must pay for it.
Installation of Student Software on the School’s Computers
- Determine which computers at the high school your students will use to take the proctored tests for the course.
- Please Note: There must enough computers in the same room for the teacher to be able to proctor the students effectively – typically a computer lab or library – or you may have to split up students into different testing times or recruit another faculty or staff member to help proctor.
- Make sure the computers you intend to have students use to take the proctored tests meet or exceed the software’s minimum system requirements listed below:
- Windows XP (with Service Pack 3)
- Mac OS X v10.6 or later, Intel x86 systems
- 1Ghz or faster processor
- 512MB memory (RAM)
- 500MB hard drive space (compact install), or up to 1.5GB (complete install)
- One of the following web browsers:
- Internet Explorer 6.0
- Mozilla Firefox 2.0
- Safari 3
- Google Chrome 2.0
- Download the student software from here: http://www.hawkeslearning.com/Support/downloads.htm
- Make sure to pick Pre-Calculus from the drop down menu.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the program.
- Please Note: Enter TrumanPRC when asked for the Hawkes Course ID during installation.
Once installed, the software program can be accessed by clicking the icon on the desktop.
Please click here to see Students’ Instructions for Software Setup.
Installation and Setup of Instructor Software
Unless a copy has already been sent in a previous term, an instructor version of the software (and, if requested, an instructor text book) will be included in the shipment of student software from The Institute for Academic Outreach.
To Install the Instructor Software:
- Download the Instructor software from the Hawkes website.
- Enter TrumanPRC as the Course ID
- Follow the on-screen directions to install the software.
Once installed, the software can be accessed by double-clicking the icon on the computer’s desktop, selecting your name from the drop-down list, and entering your password (you will receive this from Professor Williams).
To View Student Information
- Click the Online Grade Book link from your instructor menu or go to http://www.hawkeslearning.com/trumanprcc.
- Choose your name from the Login Name menu.
- Enter your password (you will receive this from Professor Williams).
- Click the “Tools” tab and enter your e-mail address so student messages from the software will be forwarded to you.
To view students’ information, click the Reports tab at the top of the screen
- GRADE SUMMARY (in the first column) shows a list of students and their test scores (the highest score for those who have taken a test more than once).
- TIME PER STUDENT (in the middle column) shows how much time a student has spent on a particular section and how many problems they tried.
- WEBTEST SUMMARY BY STUDENT (in the right column) shows all of a student’s test scores, even if they have taken a test more than once.
- Do not change any settings in the Grade Settings tab. If you wish to combine the scores that the students get from the Hawkes tests with grades from some of your other assignments, you can export the Hawkes scores (using the Print or Export Grades option from the Reports tab) to help you add the Hawkes scores to your own grade book.
- Do not move a student account or archive a class; if that needs to be done, please ask Professor Vanessa Williams (email@example.com or 660-785-4090) to do it so we can make sure we have any information we need before the move.