Institute for Academic Outreach—Professional Development and Enrichment

Non-Degree Seeking Student Admission

Who is Considered a Non-Degree Seeking Student?

Non-degree seeking students are just that: students who are not seeking a degree. Even though they don’t wish to complete an entire degree program, these students apply for admission with a non-degree seeking status so that they can take a course or two per semester from Truman.

Non-degree seeking students typically include:

  • High school students (taking courses on Truman’s campus or online)
  • Students from other colleges and universities (visiting students)
  • Alumni and other adults taking continuing education, professional development, or enrichment credit
  • Students intending to enroll at Truman eventually, but who want to see how they do in a class or two before formally applying.

If you are not a regularly-enrolled student at Truman State University, but are interested in taking a course or two with us, we would love to have you!

Non-degree seeking students may apply to take one or two courses (up to 8 hours) per semester for credit or non-credit (audit) at Truman.

Non-degree seeking students must reapply and be approved for each term in which they wish to enroll.

Visiting students who are enrolled at other colleges or universities and who are interested in taking one or two courses at Truman for transfer credit must be in good standing at their institutions.

The Admission Office retains the right to request full academic documentation from non-degree seeking or visiting students.

Admission as a non-degree seeking student does not guarantee eventual acceptance as a degree-seeking student.

Students who eventually decide to seek a degree must complete the full application for admission and submit all school transcripts.

The University reserves the right to limit the amount of non-degree seeking credit that may be applied toward a degree at Truman if taken prior to completion of application requirements into undergraduate or graduate study.

How to Apply as a Non-Degree Seeking Student

The process for applying to Truman as a non-degree seeking student varies depending on your status:

  • Undergraduate Students
    • High school students who plan to take courses on the Truman campus or online and who are not participating in a dual credit or dual enrollment course offered in partnership with their high school
    • Undergraduate students attending other colleges or universities
    • Adults who have not earned an undergraduate degree
  • Graduate Students
    • Anyone who has completed a Bachelor’s Degree (even if you only plan to take undergraduate-level courses at Truman)
  • Dual Credit/Dual Enrollment
    • High school students who plan to participate in a dual credit or dual enrollment course offered in partnership with their high school

Important Dates

For course start dates, regular tuition rates, deadlines for add/drop, total withdrawal, audit, credit/no credit, etc., and important information for each upcoming semester, see Schedules and Calendars.